Please bring these items with you to your appointment:
- Insurance cards
- Medication list
Preparing for your study:
- Wash and dry your hair with your regular shampoo, do not use any hair styling products or conditioners.
- You should go to bed at midnight and get up at 4 a.m. You must stay up until the time of your test unless otherwise instructed.
- Do not eat or drink anything containing caffeine.
- Do eat your normal meals before your test.
- Take your medications as normal unless instructed not to by your physician.
- A parent or guardian must accompany a minor.
During the study:
- The technologist will measure certain points on your head and use a special pen to mark where electrodes will be placed on your scalp.
- Your scalp will be rubbed with a mild abrasive cleanser, and the electrodes will be attached with a gel/cream.
- The technologist will monitor your brainwave patter,n and during the testing you will be asked to perform various tasks including watching a flashing light, breathing rapidly and deeply for a few minutes, and taking a short nap.
After the study:
- All of the electrodes will be removed after your study.
- You may wash your hair to remove any remaining gel/cream once you get home.
- Your test results will be sent to your referring physician.
If you need to cancel your appointment or have any questions regarding the EEG test, please call the Neurology clinic at 605-755-4150.