**The COVID-19 pandemic is creating many challenges, and we understand that your ability to pay bills may be affected during this time. Monument Health is dedicated to providing care, regardless of your ability to pay. If you are having a hard time paying your bills or have questions about Financial Assistance during this time, please visit: Financial Wellness Counseling Services or call us at 605-755-7660.**
As your community health care system, we are committed to providing comprehensive, high-quality health care for you and your family. We want you to be informed about the billing policies, procedures and services available to you.
Financial Assistance Policy — Plain Language Summary
Monument Health offers a Financial Assistance Program to patients who live in our service area that have healthcare needs and are uninsured, underinsured, or are not eligible for a government or any other insurance programs. Under Monument Health Financial Assistance policy, you may be eligible for a partial or full reduction of your bill.
Eligibility is based upon your total household size and income, when compared to the federal poverty guidelines. Verification of your household income is required to determine eligibility. Our patients must also apply for Medicaid, employer available insurance, Healthcare Marketplace Insurance, and any other available insurance offered, and be denied coverage.
To apply for financial assistance, you must complete a Financial Assistance Application form. Monument Health offers free copies of our financial assistance policy and application forms (see below). These forms are available in many languages upon request. We also have designated caregivers available to assist you through the application process.
The following options are available to obtain and submit the application.
- MyChart: With MyChart, you can securely apply for assistance through our online patient portal.
- Telephone: Call 605-755-7500 to request a copy be mailed to your home.
- In-Person: Any Admission/Registration or Emergency Department within any Monument Health Hospital or Clinic. To obtain a listing of physical addresses for our facilities, you can visit our Locations link. You may also contact 605-755-7500 for the address of a hospital or clinic.
You will not be charged more for emergency or medically necessary care than the current Medicare rates for the amount you owe. Monument Health will not engage in extraordinary collection activities, such as liens or garnishments, before making reasonable efforts to determine eligibility for Financial Assistance and a partial or full reduction of a patient’s billing.
- Financial Assistance Policy
- Attachment A – Financial Assistance Program Exclusions
- Attachment B – Financial Assistance Program Definitions
- Attachment E – Financial Assistance Service Area Zip Code List
- Financial Assistance Policy – Plain Language Summary
- Financial Assistance Application
- 2020 Financial Assistance Policy Income and Debt Reduction Matrix
- Providers covered by the financial assistance policy
- Providers not covered by the financial assistance policy
- About Your Hospital Bill
- Resumen de la Asistencia Financiera (Spanish Version Plain Language Summary)
- Solicitud de Ayuda Financier (Spanish Version Application)
- Declaracion de la politica (Spanish Version Policy)
- Exclusiones Del Programa de Asistencia Financiera – ANEXO A (Spanish Version Attachment A)
- Definiciones del Programa de Ayuda Financiera – ANEXO B (Spanish Version Attachment B)
- Codigos Postales de Areas de Servicio de Asistencia Financiera – ANEXO E (Spanish Version Attachment E)
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the Financial Assistance Programs?
These programs are designed to assist patients who are either financially or medically necessitous.
The programs, depending on your circumstances, may result in your having no obligation to pay for services provided, or may result in a discount of the charges billed to you. Each Monument Health hospital participates in the Financial Assistance Programs.
Extended Payment Plan
If you cannot pay the balance of your bill within 365 days, you will be offered an Extended Payment Plan. This allows you to make monthly payments.
A representative from our office will work with you to establish an agreeable repayment plan, but the plan will include interest.
Who is eligible for Monument Health's Financial Assistance Programs?
Depending upon your financial circumstances you might be asked to provide financial information regarding your income. Your financial assets and liabilities may also be considered when determining your ability to pay. Monument Health also uses income limits issued by the Federal Poverty Guidelines to determine a person’s eligibility for financial assistance.
For more information about our Financial Assistance Programs, please call Patient Financial Services at 605-755-7660.
Are all services covered?
Only medically necessary care is covered on Monument Health’s Financial Assistance Program. Please see Attachment A – Financial Assistance Program Exclusions.