MAKE YOUR FIRST FRACTURE YOUR LAST with Fracture Liaison Services
If you break a bone, it is very important that you get the right medical care, treatment and follow-up to make sure you don’t break any more bones.
If you’re over age 50 and have a fracture, are concerned about osteoporosis, or your health care provider feels you would benefit from a bone health evaluation – the Fracture Liaison Service (FLS) may be the right option for you.
To prevent future fractures and the associated loss of independence through a care plan that is designed for each individual by a multi-disciplinary team of health care professionals.
FLS combines the expertise of multiple specialties working together to develop the best treatment plan for you. This dedicated team develops the best course of treatment for you.
Clinical services provided by the FLS program include:
- Review of medical history, labs and bone density studies
- DXA exams
- Initial and follow-up treatment
- Education on bone health, osteoporosis and fragility fractures
- Evaluation of risks for future fractures
- Identification of potential lifestyle risk factors
- Discussion of appropriate prevention options
- Discussion of medications to help sustain or develop stronger bones.
- 50% of women and up to 25% of men over 50 will fracture a bone due to osteoporosis
- 50% of hip fracture patients become disabled for life
- In the U.S. 10-20% of hip fracture patients may die within a year of their fracture
- Only 35% of American adults consume the recommended daily dose of calcium
- 1 out of 2 adults in South Dakota and Wyoming are vitamin D deficient unless they take a vitamin D supplement
- Osteoporosis costs $17 billion annually in the United States
- Treatment for a single hip fracture costs $35,000-$50,000
What People Are Saying
Dr. Kiem has wisdom and experience but is still open and willing to listen and accommodate me as a patient and an individual I appreciate him and his time
Staff was friendly and courteous
Dr was thorough and easy to discuss issues with.