MAKE YOUR FIRST FRACTURE YOUR LAST with Fracture Liaison Services
If you break a bone, it is very important that you get the right medical care, treatment and follow-up to make sure you don’t break any more bones.
If you’re over age 50 and have a fracture, are concerned about osteoporosis, or your health care provider feels you would benefit from a bone health evaluation – the Fracture Liaison Service (FLS) may be the right option for you.
To prevent future fractures and the associated loss of independence through a care plan that is designed for each individual by a multi-disciplinary team of health care professionals.
FLS combines the expertise of multiple specialties working together to develop the best treatment plan for you. This dedicated team develops the best course of treatment for you.
Clinical services provided by the FLS program include:
- Review of medical history, labs and bone density studies
- DXA exams
- Initial and follow-up treatment
- Education on bone health, osteoporosis and fragility fractures
- Evaluation of risks for future fractures
- Identification of potential lifestyle risk factors
- Discussion of appropriate prevention options
- Discussion of medications to help sustain or develop stronger bones.
- 50% of women and up to 25% of men over 50 will fracture a bone due to osteoporosis
- 50% of hip fracture patients become disabled for life
- 20% of hip fracture patients die within a year
- Only 35% of American adults consume the recommended daily dose of calcium
- 1 out of 2 adults in South Dakota is Vitamin D deficient
- Osteoporosis costs $17 billion annually in the United States
- Treatment for a single hip fracture costs $35,000-$50,000
What People Are Saying
I absolutely love the ability to schedule appointments or contact my doctor on the MyChart app. Dr. Ptacek is always a wonderful care giver and Laura at the front desk always makes the clinic feel like you’ve walked into a friends house.
Dr. Weaver is such an excellent care provider because she listens, understands and is very forthright with her evaluations. She explains concerns and treatments thoroughly. She is a great lady and outstanding physician.
There are not enough words to describe how compassionate and caring the nurses are at the Hill City Clinic. Nurse Lois Gilbert is always friendly, always has a smile on her face and her demeanor and tone towards the patient is outstanding!
I’ve been seeing Dr. Legner for years. I won’t go to another doctor unless I have to. She’s always so professional and takes time with you in the exam room to make sure you understand what the problem is and the plan to fix it!
Dr. Willoughby, what a pleasure it was to see him! He is truly concerned about me and my health. He obviously studied my records. We had a discussion about my health, enabling us to work together. What a welcome relief to find this caring man!
Dr. Nylander was very kind and approachable. She listened to my concerns/reason for the visit and responded with compassionate care (she looked at me and smiled…isn’t that great?? Human connection!) She knew what to do and I felt like I was in good hands.