The Extern Scholarship Program is a financial assistance program for students pursuing a health care career as a registered nurse (RN), and have been a Nurse Extern at Monument Health.
Through this program, tuition of last semester (up to $4,000) or two semesters (up to $8,000) will be paid directly to the lender or learning institution.
Eligible applicants must be in their senior year of an RN Program that is recognized by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN), Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE), or National League for Nursing Commission for Nursing Education Accreditation (NLN CNEA) or in the program is a candidate for initial accreditation.
All applicants must be enrolled as full-time students and have a minimum 2.5 GPA.
- Within six months of completing the educational program, loan recipients must agree to work for Monument Health for one year for each paid semester in an identified priority area.
- Request for transfer to be approved by Chief Nursing Officer and Vice President of Human Resources at Monument Health.
Must obtain a SD Nursing License upon graduation.
- This exchange for work is performed while being paid at the individual’s regular compensation rate and therefore results in the loan being “forgiven.” The program is not an offer or guarantee of employment. Students not hired by Monument Health (or those who are terminated from the educational program) are required to repay the assistance.
- Must be willing to apply, interview, and accept employment in an identified priority area. Hiring leaders of key stakeholder areas to panel interview candidates and select recipients.
- In the event the recipient does not secure employment at Monument Health, the loan must be repaid according to the terms listed above. Termination during the employment year(s) will result in proration of the amount to be repaid, based on the number of hours worked by the loan recipient.
How To Apply
- Resume, including contact information and a summary of the applicant’s academic and extracurricular achievements
- Brief statement of educational and career goals
- Expected graduation date (month and year)
- Completion of two reference forms or two reference letters
- Current college transcript (does not have to be an official transcript, but must include a current cumulative GPA)
- Verification of full-time student status
- A financial summary of expected educational expenses
August 1, 2022