Paella with chicken, leeks and tarragon
Paella is a saffron-flavored rice dish. This adaptation uses brown rice, chicken and spices you already have in your cabinet.
Paella is a saffron-flavored rice dish made with meat, seafood and vegetables. This adaptation uses brown rice, tarragon and chicken.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 leeks (white part only), thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 2/3 cup brown rice
- 1 teaspoon tarragon, or to taste
- 2 cups fat-free, unsalted chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 lemon, cut into 4 wedges
In a large, nonstick frying pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, leeks, garlic and chicken. Saute until the vegetables are translucent and chicken is slightly browned, about 5 minutes.
Add the tomatoes and red pepper and continue to saute another 5 minutes. Add rice, tarragon and broth and combine well. Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat, cover and simmer about 10 minutes. Stir in peas and continue to simmer uncovered until broth is absorbed and the rice is tender, 45 to 60 minutes.
To serve, divide among four individual plates. Garnish each with 1 tablespoon parsley and 1 lemon wedge.