More News Monument Health Lead-Deadwood Hospital celebrates 125th anniversary

Latest News

Monument Health Lead-Deadwood Hospital celebrates 125th anniversary

On Jan. 15, 1897, St. Joseph’s Hospital officially opened in Deadwood. 125 years later, Monument Health Lead-Deadwood Hospital continues to offer high-quality care to our patients and community on the same ground as the original building where the Benedictine Sisters provided care so many years ago.

Much has changed in 125 years; there have been a number of alterations and remodels, and the original hospital building was taken down in 1962 to make way for a new hospital wing, where the Lead-Deadwood Clinic is now.

In 1918, the Spanish Influenza pandemic swept through the nation, including Lead and Deadwood — a moment in history that our caregivers can relate to after all these years. St. Joseph’s Hospital treated 174 cases of the disease

Now in 2022, on the 125th anniversary of the opening of St. Joseph’s Hospital, now Monument Health Lead-Deadwood Hospital and Clinic, we reflect on these changes. From gold mining to underground labs, railroads to bike paths and from “wild west” to a great place to live. Yet much has also remained the same. The physicians, nurses and other caregivers within the walls of Lead-Deadwood Hospital strive to provide the best possible care to patients and look after the health of our communities, just as the Benedictine Sisters did 125 years ago.

There’s a lot of history in those walls, and Monument Health is proud of every caregiver and provider that’s a part of this 125-year legacy.

###

MEDIA CONTACT:
Wade Ellett
Monument Health
605-755-0502
wellett@monument.health

Latest News

More Like This