Breast cancer is the second most common cause of cancer-related deaths in women. Fortunately, digital mammography technology allows physicians to focus on areas of concern. Digital mammography uses traditional X-rays, but it captures them as digital information, which can be stored electronically, transmitted, displayed, analyzed and manipulated in a number of ways. Women can receive digital mammograms in each of our Monument Health markets: Custer, Lead-Deadwood, Rapid City, Spearfish and Sturgis.
Prevention and Detection Recommendations:
- Conduct monthly breast exams
- Get your annual check-up
- Get your mammogram annually after age 45
Genius 3D Mammography
Offered in each of our Monument Health markets: Custer, Lead-Deadwood, Rapid City, Spearfish and Sturgis. This new technology improves early detection and treatment of breast cancer. Using three-dimensional technology, radiologists can better detect breast cancer deep within the tissue, where it might be hidden during a traditional two-dimensional mammogram. With 3D’s clarity and depth, fewer patients will have to return for second mammograms. Patients with dense breasts, such as younger women, will have a better chance of early detection with 3D mammography.
Facts About Mammograms:
(Courtesy of the American Cancer Society)
- Mammograms are the best weapon we have against breast cancer.
- A woman’s lifetime chance of developing breast cancer is 1 in 8.
- A new breast cancer is diagnosed every 2.5 minutes.
- One American woman dies from breast cancer every 13 minutes.
- Nearly 40,000 women die from breast cancer each year.
- About 2,000 male breast cancer cases will be diagnosed this year, and about 400 men will die from the disease.
- Mammograms can find breast cancer early, when it is too small to be felt or seen.
- The older you are, the more important it is for you to take care of your breasts. This means getting regular mammograms, clinical breast exams from your doctor or other qualified health professional.
- Early detection of breast cancer saves lives.
What People Are Saying
I had a mammogram at Monument HEALTH with Lori. She was awesome. It went quickly, I was comfortable, and she put me at ease.
My mammogram and dexascan were handled easily and professionally. Friendly and courteous staff.
I had a mammogram today. The tech and student was helpful, knowledgeable and friendly. The tech went out of her way to get a phone number for a specific question I had on Covid. Highly recommend this medical service.