Breast cancer is the second most common cause of cancer-related deaths in women. Fortunately, digital mammography technology allows physicians to focus on areas of concern. Digital mammography uses traditional X-rays, but it captures them as digital information, which can be stored electronically, transmitted, displayed, analyzed and manipulated in a number of ways. Women can receive digital mammograms in each of our Monument Health markets: Custer, Lead-Deadwood, Rapid City, Spearfish and Sturgis.
Prevention and Detection Recommendations:
- Conduct monthly breast exams
- Get your annual check-up
- Get your mammogram annually after age 45
Genius 3D Mammography
Offered at two Monument Health Medical Clinics – North 10th Street in Spearfish and Flormann Street in Rapid City. This new technology improves early detection and treatment of breast cancer. Using three-dimensional technology, radiologists can better detect breast cancer deep within the tissue, where it might be hidden during a traditional two-dimensional mammogram. With 3D’s clarity and depth, fewer patients will have to return for second mammograms. Patients with dense breasts, such as younger women, will have a better chance of early detection with 3D mammography.
Facts About Mammograms:
(Courtesy of the American Cancer Society)
- Mammograms are the best weapon we have against breast cancer.
- A woman’s lifetime chance of developing breast cancer is 1 in 8.
- A new breast cancer is diagnosed every 2.5 minutes.
- One American woman dies from breast cancer every 13 minutes.
- Nearly 40,000 women die from breast cancer each year.
- About 2,000 male breast cancer cases will be diagnosed this year, and about 400 men will die from the disease.
- Mammograms can find breast cancer early, when it is too small to be felt or seen.
- The older you are, the more important it is for you to take care of your breasts. This means getting regular mammograms, clinical breast exams from your doctor or other qualified health professional.
- Early detection of breast cancer saves lives.
What People Are Saying
I absolutely love the ability to schedule appointments or contact my doctor on the MyChart app. Dr. Ptacek is always a wonderful care giver and Laura at the front desk always makes the clinic feel like you’ve walked into a friends house.
Dr. Weaver is such an excellent care provider because she listens, understands and is very forthright with her evaluations. She explains concerns and treatments thoroughly. She is a great lady and outstanding physician.
There are not enough words to describe how compassionate and caring the nurses are at the Hill City Clinic. Nurse Lois Gilbert is always friendly, always has a smile on her face and her demeanor and tone towards the patient is outstanding!
I’ve been seeing Dr. Legner for years. I won’t go to another doctor unless I have to. She’s always so professional and takes time with you in the exam room to make sure you understand what the problem is and the plan to fix it!
Dr. Willoughby, what a pleasure it was to see him! He is truly concerned about me and my health. He obviously studied my records. We had a discussion about my health, enabling us to work together. What a welcome relief to find this caring man!
Dr. Nylander was very kind and approachable. She listened to my concerns/reason for the visit and responded with compassionate care (she looked at me and smiled…isn’t that great?? Human connection!) She knew what to do and I felt like I was in good hands.