Hospital medicine is a medical specialty dedicated to the delivery of comprehensive medical care to hospitalized patients. Practitioners of hospital medicine include physicians (“Hospitalists”) and non-physician providers such as Certified Nurse Practitioners or Physician Assistants who engage in clinical care, teaching, research or leadership in the field of general hospital medicine.
Nocturnists are Hospitalists who work only at night. The main role of a Nocturnist is to admit patients at night and to respond to existing patients concerns throughout the night. Our Nocturnists generally work from 5 p.m. to 7 a.m.
In addition to their core internal medicine expertise, hospital medicine practitioners work to enhance the performance of hospitals and health care systems by:
- Prompt and complete attention to patient care needs including diagnosis, treatment and the performance of medical procedures (within their scope of practice).
- Quality and process improvement techniques.
- Collaboration, communication and coordination with other physicians and health care personnel caring for hospitalized patients.
- Safe transition of patient care within the hospital, and from the hospital to the community, which may include oversight of care in post-acute care facilities.
- Efficient use of hospital and health care resources
Hospitalist Chronic Service
Patients who have extended inpatient stays will receive a care team that includes two physicians, one nurse practitioner, a social worker and a pharmacist. This strategy helps ensure these patients receive appropriate placement in long-term care environments or other specialized arrangements after discharge.
Doctors & Providers
What People Are Saying
My parents are visiting for the summer. She had an issue with her legs and asked my father to take her to the hospital. She praised the care she received while a patient for two days. Thank you for taking care of my Mom.
My Dad was in a motorcycle accident and they transported him to Monument Health on the 10th floor those nurses were absolute angels. He had the BEST care he could have possibly been given. They took really good care of my daddy and were all so helpful. We could not have been sent to a better hospital than Monument Health!
Sturgis Hospital nurses, doctors and all employees are the utmost professionals in the field. They risk their health every day to take care of people and they are always so decent to their patients. Thanks so much for all you.
My wife was admitted into the hospital and I was so impressed with the room and care she received. The staff was so attentive, compassionate and professional. Thank you Monument Health in Rapid for the great care my wife received!