Hearty chicken bowl
This one-bowl meal is a hearty combination of chicken, mushrooms, wild rice and vegetables.
This one-bowl meal uses ingredients with a northern flare, such as mushrooms, walnuts, rice and squash.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 cup uncooked fancy wild rice
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups no-salt-added chicken stock
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (4 ounces each)
- 1 cup diced red beets
- 1 cup peeled and diced butternut squash
- 2 cups chopped beet tops (greens)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
Heat sauce pan over medium heat, add half the oil and carrots, onion, mushrooms and parsley. Saute for approximately 10 minutes or until onions begin to brown. Add wild rice, walnuts, black pepper and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer. Cover and cook for 40 minutes.
In the meantime, add remaining oil to a saute pan. Add chicken breasts and brown on both sides, about 3 minutes a side. Cook until internal temperature is 165 F. Remove chicken from pan and set aside, keeping warm.
Add diced beets and squash to the hot pan. Saute on medium heat for 15-20 minutes, until squash begins to brown and both items are tender. Add chopped greens, balsamic vinegar, cranberries and rice mixture, toss to combine and get cooked bits loosened from bottom of pan.
Divide among four bowls, top with slices of chicken breasts and serve.