Savory buckwheat pilaf with toasted spices
Buckwheat groats take the place of rice in this pilaf seasoned with fresh herbs and pungent spices.
Despite the name, buckwheat groats aren't related to wheat and are naturally gluten-free.
Ingredients (Serves 6)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup buckwheat groats
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 cups unsalted (no salt added) vegetable stock or broth
- 1 tomato, peeled and seeded, then diced (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (coriander)
In a saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until soft and translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the buckwheat groats, garlic, cumin seed, mustard seed and cardamom. Saute, stirring constantly, until the spices and garlic are fragrant and the buckwheat is lightly toasted, about 3 minutes.
Carefully pour in the stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium low, cover and simmer until the liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 2 minutes.
Stir in the tomato and salt. Transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle with the cilantro. Serve immediately.