The new Monument Health Rapid City Hospital Emergency Department opened on Sept. 11, 2019, at 4 a.m.
To reach the new Emergency Department: enter from Third Street via Fairmont Boulevard, or from Fifth Street south of the construction zone.
Rapid City Hospital Expansion Facts
- Rapid City Hospital’s Emergency Department cares for 2,200 patients per patient room per year. The national average is 1,800.
- Rapid City Hospital Emergency Department is the busiest emergency department in South Dakota with 57,000 visits annually.
- Our patient volume has outgrown current capacity – patients must be treated in our hallways daily.
- The current Emergency Department is 19,000 square feet; the new Emergency Department will be more than 44,000 square feet.
- The helipad, in its current location, requires additional ground transportation after landing; the new helipad will be on the roof, a short elevator ride to the Emergency Department.
- The new Emergency Department will have 22 exam beds, 8 trauma/resuscitation beds, 3 behavioral health private exam beds and 1 communal safe room/holding area as well as 2 vertical exam rooms with an additional 8 recliner areas. There will also be an additional 12 bed short-stay observation unit.
- The new Heart and Vascular Unit will be 40 percent larger than the current space and have 32 patient rooms.
- There will be dedicated Emergency Department walk-in parking in the new location.
- The expanded covered parking will give patients and visitors quick convenient access to other Monument Health healing environments.
- The new enclosed drive-through Ambulance Garage will house up to six ambulances, reducing drop-off time and increasing efficiency.
- This construction overall adds 1,252 new parking spaces.
- Emergency Department opens on September 11, 2019 at 4 a.m.
- Heart and Vascular Unit opens on September 18, 2019.