If you are a current employee, please apply via the internal career site by logging into your Workday Account and clicking the "Career" icon on your homepage.
Job SummaryIt starts with heart. That is what you will do each day. As a Patient Access Specialist I at Monument Health, you can begin your healthcare career with no experience necessary. You will be valued as an essential team member providing compassionate patient focused care. You will discover a culture of teamwork, professionalism, mutual respect, and— most importantly— a life-changing career. You will make a difference. Every day.
As a Patient Access Specialist I, you are responsible for the integrity of all front-end patient access and registration functions including support of excellent patient care and seamless revenue cycle process. You are the first person our patients see each time they enter the facility or department! You are a trusted resource to provide service excellence to all patients, families, physicians, clinicians, and internal departments.
Our vision at Monument Health is to be one team, to listen, to be inclusive, and to show we care. To do the right thing. Every time. If you share this philosophy, we hope you’ll join us.
Monument Health offers competitive wages and benefits on qualifying positions. Some of those benefits can include:
*Supportive work culture
*Medical, Vision and Dental Coverage
*Retirement Plans, Health Savings Account, and Flexible Spending Account
*Paid Time Off Accrual Bank
*Opportunities for growth and advancement
*Excellent pay differentials on qualifying positions (extra pay for working evening, nights or weekends)
Essential Job Functions:
- Accountable for accurately collecting demographics, confirming patient identity, guarantor assignment, and coverage information and verification from patients or informants including obtaining necessary documents for check-in or admission among various patient settings, utilizing various communication methods (i.e phone, letters, face-to-face, bedside).
- Assists in achieving the strategic objectives of Monument Health by following Revenue Cycle guidelines. Including participating in quality assurance and improvement activities.
- Demonstrates knowledge of payer information and benefits, including Medicare, Medicaid, and commercial payers as well as third party liability payers.
- Performs point of service collections including prepayments, outstanding balances, co-payment and co-insurance; daily reconciliation of cash drawer. Provides patients with basic account reconciliation.
- Initiates financial clearance by providing patient with cost estimates for scheduled services. Properly escalates financial clearance needs on behalf of the patient.
- Review and understand authorization and referral records to confirm financial clearance.
- Educates patient and maintains regulatory compliance as required by distributing and/or obtaining required forms and signatures including consents for treatment and financial agreements, ABN/waivers, and other regulatory forms.
- Performs business office duties including incoming phone calls and messages, in-basket messaging, patient communications, intra-departmental communications, scanning/faxes, taxi vouchers, mail distribution, lost and found, safe and valuables and other duties as assigned.
- Provides service excellence including way-finding, reception. Demonstrates the importance of satisfying the needs of the customer by interacting with him/her in a friendly and caring way, being attentive to both emotional and physical needs. Takes responsibility to maintain communication with the customer in order to provide a secure and pleasant experience throughout the system.
- May obtain referrals and order transcription, as applicable to service area.
- Perform patient scheduling and check-out, including pre-arrival management for upcoming services per protocols within the supported department, managing and monitoring patient wait lists and recall lists appropriately.
- Maintain registration related work queues including ongoing resolution of errors.
- Working knowledge of the electronic medical record: advanced directives, release of information, patient portal proxy forms. Ability to educate patient on the patient basic purpose, and regulations.
- Address account inquires, resolve or escalate inquiries as appropriate.
- In order to provide the highest quality of care to our patients, individuals may be required to work beyond normal scheduled shifts and will be required to comply with Monument Health's Attendance Policy.
- May perform patient movement activities in the electronic medical record.
- May arrange patient transportation and other enabling services.
- Assist clinical care team as needed including providing transport in cooperation with clinical team direction.
- Responsible for attending all mandatory education, compliance and safety program sessions.
- Required to comply with all current and future policies and procedures and report directly to the supervisor.
- All other duties as assigned.
Education - High School Diploma/GED Equivalent
Work Experience - 1+ years Customer Service Experience; 1+ years Patient Relations Experience; 1+ years Medical Patient Accounts/Financial Services ExperiencePhysical Requirements:
Light work - Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
Job CategoryRevenue Cycle
Job FamilyRegistration and Scheduling
DepartmentSPH Emergency Services
Scheduled Weekly Hours20
Employee TypeRegular 62 Monument Health Spearfish Hospital
Make a difference. Every day.
Monument Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
COVID Vaccination Statement
Ensuring the safety and well-being of our patients, visitors, staff, and communities is our deepest commitment at Monument Health. As a condition of employment, Monument Health requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless there is an approved exemption. New hires will be required to have at least one dose of the vaccine prior to starting employment, with a second dose scheduled, or submit proof of previous vaccination.Apply