If you are a current employee, please apply via the internal career site by logging into your Workday Account and clicking the "Career" icon on your homepage.
COVID Vaccination Statement
Ensuring the safety and well-being of our patients, visitors, staff, and communities is our deepest commitment at Monument Health. As a condition of employment, Monument Health requires all employees be fully vaccinated * against COVID-19, or have obtained an approved medical or religious exemption, prior to starting employment.
*Fully vaccinated means it has been at least two weeks since the completion of a COVID-19 primary vaccination series. COVID-19 primary vaccination series is defined as the administration of a single-dose vaccine (such as the Janssen (Johnson & Johnson) COVID-19 Vaccine) or the administration of all required doses of a multi-dose vaccine (such as the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine (interchangeable with the licensed Comirnaty Vaccine) or the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine).
Pay Rate Range$152,089.60
(Determined by the knowledge, skills, and experience of the applicant.)
Job SummaryMonument Health Cancer Care Institute has an exciting opportunity for a full time, highly motivated medical physicist to join a team of 2 physicists, 2 dosimetrists, and 9 therapists in Rapid City, South Dakota. The medical center has 1 tomotherapy, 1 Elekta Infinity linear accelerator, and a very active and growing brachytherapy program, offering Tandem/Ovoid, Tandem/Ring, Cylinder, interstitial, and breast brachytherapy, as well as prostate seed implants.
The department currently has a Philips large-bore CT simulator and Pinnacle external beam planning. Both are slated to be upgraded within the year. Brachytherapy planning is done using Ocentra and VariSeed. Accreditation is also planned in 2021.
Monument Health has 3 radiation oncologists and serves a large area, including western South Dakota, eastern Wyoming, and northwest Nebraska.
Rapid City lies in the picturesque Black Hills of South Dakota near Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, and 3 National Parks. There are many recreational activities including hiking, biking, skiing, and snowmobiling. The George S. Mickelson trail stretches 109 miles through the Black Hills. Nearby Deadwood and Sturgis offer additional cultural activities.
Looking for experience with
• Elekta linear accelerators
• SRS, and SBRT
• Oncentra and microSelectron HDR
Monument Health offers competitive wages and benefits on qualifying positions. Some of those benefits can include:
*Supportive work culture
*Medical, Vision and Dental Coverage
*Retirement Plans, Health Savings Account, and Flexible Spending Account
*Instant pay is available for qualifying positions
*Paid Time Off Accrual Bank
*Opportunities for growth and advancement
*Excellent pay differentials on qualifying positions (extra pay for working evening, nights or weekends)
- Performs machine quality assurance on all treatment and imaging devices in the department.
- Evaluates therapy plans for safe and effective treatments.
- Performs patient-specific quality assurance before treatment start.
- Advises chief physicist, physicians, radiation therapists, and dosimetrists of equipment problems
- Researches new treatment and imaging equipment, develops, and implements them.
- Participates in scheduled technical meetings to address equipment, planning, and project work.
- Consults with equipment vendors, and trouble-shoots clinical problems to ensure timely treatments.
- Assists chief physicist to develop policies and procedures for accreditation.
- Performs daily and annual quality assurance on a high dose rate remote afterloader.
- Plans and participates in breast, gynecological and prostate brachytherapy treatments.
- Attends national medical physics meetings to brainstorm new clinical procedures and equipment.
- Instructs radiation therapy staff in radiation safety.
- Ensures compliance of radiation therapy activities with all state and federal laws and regulations.
- All other duties as assigned.
Education - Master's degree or Ph.D. degree in Medical Physics or related field
Experience - ABR certification or finished residency program
Experience - ABR certification or accredited residency program graduation; Strong experience on HDR and LDR;
Education - Ph.D. degree in medical physics or related fieldPhysical Requirements:
Medium work - Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Job FamilyRadiation Therapy
DepartmentCCI Radiation Therapy
Scheduled Weekly Hours40
Employee TypeRegular 10 Monument Health Rapid City Hospital, Inc.
Make a difference. Every day.
Monument Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.Apply