If you are a current employee, please apply via the internal career site by logging into your Workday Account and clicking the "Career" icon on your homepage.
Job CategoryRevenue Cycle
DepartmentRCH Health Information Management
Scheduled Weekly Hours40
Job SummaryThe Medical Record/Health Information Technician is responsible for the care of the patient health record to ensure that the information in the record is complete, accurate, and only available to authorized physicians, caregivers, and requestors. Understands medical terminology and health care business lines. Assists Caregivers and Providers (physicians, clinical departments, advance practice providers) with service needs. Prepares and handles information in several media forms accurately: printing, scanning, copying, faxing, sorting, collating, and filing.
Record Analysis - Responsible for the oversight of active medical records requiring completion. Evaluates the completion of the record utilizing medical records practice standards for clinics, critical access hospitals, acute care hospitals, and long term care facilities. Coordinates completion of records when an issue requires resolution.
- Document imaging and scanning - Identifies documents which constitute the legal content of the patient record, in both electronic and paper formats. Assigns appropriate document names. Scans paper health records (internal and external sources) to the target location of the medical record. Evaluates incoming fax communications. Carefully identifies the type of request, the appropriate path for routing to the physician, nurse, or referral team. Uploads the document.
- Record maintenance - Enters specific laboratory or health care data into the electronic health record. Completes electronic record corrections or scanned record corrections accurately according to established guidelines.
- Release of records – Ensures documentation of requests for information within 3 business days of receipt of the request. Documents completion of all requests for information per Corporate Responsibility and HIPAA guidelines. Receives and validates telephone, verbal, and written requests for information from health care providers, authorized third parties, patients, or their authorized representatives. Completes protected health information requests within 10 business days for purposes of continuing care, payment, or internal/ external operations.
- Follows the patient’s request for records including the form desired by the patient (electronic, Epic Care Link, paper, or other media) and completes this request within 30 days. Keeps patient informed of a delay. The final patient request is completed within the timeframe required by regulation.
- Record Retention - Understands and accurately administers the Record Retention schedule. Accurately identifies records which have met the retention schedule. Responsible for the tasks to store, retain, and purge patient records.
- All other duties as assigned.
Education - Associates degree in Medical Record-Health Information Management or Related Field
Certifications - Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) - American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA); or Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) - American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA)
Experience - 3+ years of Health Information System ExperiencePhysical Requirements:
Sedentary work - Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time.10 Monument Health Rapid City Hospital, Inc.
Make a difference. Every day.
Monument Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.Apply