If you are a current employee, please apply via the internal career site by logging into your Workday Account and clicking the "Career" icon on your homepage.
COVID Vaccination Statement
Ensuring the safety and well-being of our patients, visitors, staff, and communities is our deepest commitment at Monument Health. As a condition of employment, Monument Health requires all employees be fully vaccinated * against COVID-19, or have obtained an approved medical or religious exemption, prior to starting employment.
*Fully vaccinated means it has been at least two weeks since the completion of a COVID-19 primary vaccination series. COVID-19 primary vaccination series is defined as the administration of a single-dose vaccine (such as the Janssen (Johnson & Johnson) COVID-19 Vaccine) or the administration of all required doses of a multi-dose vaccine (such as the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine (interchangeable with the licensed Comirnaty Vaccine) or the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine).
Pay Rate Range$29.60
(Determined by the knowledge, skills, and experience of the applicant.)
Job SummaryThe Diabetes Educator-Nurse assesses educational needs and provides diabetes self management training to outpatients and their families/caregivers. Education is provided to those with diabetes of all types and all ages both in individual and group settings. The Diabetes Educator-Nurse possesses the knowledge of patient needs across the life span and uses critical thinking skills to identify the patient's status and educational needs using clinical data, history taking and observation. The Diabetes Educator-Nurse effectively communicates diabetes self-care concepts in relationship to diabetes disease process, basic nutrition, exercise, medications, glucose monitoring/meter use, acute and long-term complications, risk reduction, psychosocial adjustment and behavior change strategies. In addition the Diabetes Educator-Nurse teaches insulin/injectable medication administration and insulin pump therapy, adjusts diabetes medications per physician approved protocol, and places/removes continuous glucose monitors. The Diabetes Educator-Nurse participates in the development of education records and teaching materials and works in collaboration with other disciplines to promote and provide quality care to persons with diabetes.
Monument Health offers competitive wages and benefits on qualifying positions. Some of those benefits can include:
*Supportive work culture
*Medical, Vision and Dental Coverage
*Retirement Plans, Health Savings Account, and Flexible Spending Account
*Instant pay is available for qualifying positions
*Paid Time Off Accrual Bank
*Opportunities for growth and advancement
*Excellent pay differentials on qualifying positions (extra pay for working evening, nights or weekends)
- Conducts a thorough, individualized self-management assessment of the person with or at risk for diabetes. Performs assessments of physical health, medications, and psychosocial issues and identifies areas for education and clinical interventions.
- Guides the patient with diabetes in setting individualized behavioral and clinical goals to address the needs identified in all areas of assessment, develop success metrics, and use behavior change methodology to facilitate patient participation in the education process.
- Develops an education plan to address behavioral goals established during the goal setting process, develops a learning plan to address gaps in knowledge, collaborates with patients to plan strategies for addressing barriers identified, and refers to prescriber as needed.
- Monitors the progress of the plan and re-assesses the patient’s understanding of goals and plan, knowledge and skills, and clinical and behavioral goal achievement. In collaboration with the patient and provider, revises the plan and goals as needed and refers to prescriber as needed.
- Conveys concepts and instructions to patient/group in clear and concise manner with information/materials paced to learner needs.
- Contacts patient family members and includes them in the learning process as indicated and documented in the patient record.
- Maintains a record of every patient taught including physician order, time spent, teaching plan, plan revisions and follow-up as evidenced on periodic chart review.
- Functions as a liaison and interacts cooperatively with patients, other departments, physicians, and other professionals as observed by department manager.
- Participates in departmental activities related to performance improvement and quality control.
- Responds appropriately in an emergency situation and assists promptly and professional when necessary.
- Annually, obtains the required 15 hours of continuing education related to diabetes management-Required
- All other duties as assigned.
Education - Completion of a nursing education program that is approved by a board of nursing
Certification - Registered Nurse (RN) - South Dakota Board of Nursing
Education - Bachelors degree in Nursing
Experience - 1+ years of Diabetes Education Experience; 1+ years of Registered Nurse Experience
Certification - Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE) - National Certification Board for Diabetes Educators (NCBDE)
Light work - Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
Job FamilyNursing Education
DepartmentRCH Chronic Disease Management
Scheduled Weekly Hours24
Employee TypeRegular 10 Monument Health Rapid City Hospital, Inc.
Make a difference. Every day.
Monument Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.Apply