If you are a current employee, please apply via the internal career site by logging into your Workday Account and clicking the "Career" icon on your homepage.
COVID Vaccination Statement
Ensuring the safety and well-being of our patients, visitors, staff, and communities is our deepest commitment at Monument Health. As a condition of employment, Monument Health requires all employees be fully vaccinated * against COVID-19, or have obtained an approved medical or religious exemption, prior to starting employment.
*Fully vaccinated means it has been at least two weeks since the completion of a COVID-19 primary vaccination series. COVID-19 primary vaccination series is defined as the administration of a single-dose vaccine (such as the Janssen (Johnson & Johnson) COVID-19 Vaccine) or the administration of all required doses of a multi-dose vaccine (such as the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine (interchangeable with the licensed Comirnaty Vaccine) or the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine).
Pay Rate Range$20.04
(Determined by the knowledge, skills, and experience of the applicant.)
Job SummaryThe Coder I position is responsible for ICD, CPT, HCPCS, Evaluation and Management assignments in a limited specialty environment in a clinic, hospital, nursing home, assisted living, or professional billing environment.
Monument Health offers competitive wages and benefits on qualifying positions. Some of those benefits can include:
*Supportive work culture
*Medical, Vision and Dental Coverage
*Retirement Plans, Health Savings Account, and Flexible Spending Account
*Instant pay is available for qualifying positions
*Paid Time Off Accrual Bank
*Opportunities for growth and advancement
*Excellent pay differentials on qualifying positions (extra pay for working evening, nights or weekends)
- Evaluates the health record, utilizes paper and electronic health records; defines the presence of an appropriate physician's order, medical necessity, and signature; utilizes coding guidelines, coding books, and software resources to assign accurate codes; evaluates and edits national and local payment policies.
- Accurately assign ICD 9 CM diagnoses and ICD 9 CM/CPT procedure codes to all inpatient and outpatient medical records in accordance with established time frames. Accurately abstracts patient record to maintain information integrity.
- Accurately assigns diagnostic and CPT procedure codes for patient charges including but not limited to inpatient and outpatient surgical services and medical services.
- Maintains coding and compliance competencies; maintains dated coding resources; utilizes encoder products to allow standardization and consistence in coding.
- Enters data accurately into the patient abstract or verifies accuracy of data.
- Evaluates the need for and generates an Advance Beneficiary Notice.
- Completes work as soon as possible after service is completed and documentation is present. Prepares delinquent abstract lists on a daily basis.
- Participates in tasks which require resolution of coding or compliance questions with assistance of Director or Coordinator.
- Assists colleagues in the revenue cycle with billing or compliance questions (i.e. clinics, hospitals, nursing homes, assisted living facilities, patient access, billing, HIM, clinical departments).
- All other duties as assigned.
Education - High School Diploma/GED Equivalent in General Studies
Experience - 1+ years of Coding Experience; 1+ years of Medical Terminology Experience
Certification - Certified Professional Coder - Apprentice (CPC-A) - American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC); Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) - American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA)
Sedentary work - Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time.
Job CategoryRevenue Cycle
Job FamilyHealth Information Management
DepartmentRCH Health Information Management
Scheduled Weekly Hours20
Employee TypeRegular 10 Monument Health Rapid City Hospital, Inc.
Make a difference. Every day.
Monument Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.Apply