If you are a current employee, please apply via the internal career site by logging into your Workday Account and clicking the "Career" icon on your homepage.
Job SummaryThe Student Nurse Extern Program gives senior nursing students the opportunity to provide direct patient care under the supervision of a Registered Nurse preceptor. The Extern will gain experience in performing clinical nursing skills through a mentorship program with nurses. Nursing students will have the opportunity to increase critical thinking and organizational skills by providing nursing care to patients in various departments throughout Monument Health. This 10-week, 200-300-hour clinical experience allows the student nurse to further develop the art and science of nursing practice and promotes additional interaction with health care professionals.
The following must be attached at the time of application by uploading these documents to this application:
• Professional resume
• Two letters of reference – one from nursing school faculty or instructor
• Unofficial transcript including Nursing GPA
• Personal statement of expectations for the Extern Program, including
expected graduation date and ranked list of service lines for placement:
Women’s & Children’s
Monument Health offers competitive wages and benefits on qualifying positions. Some of those benefits can include:
*Supportive work culture
*Medical, Vision and Dental Coverage
*Retirement Plans, Health Savings Account, and Flexible Spending Account
*Instant pay is available for qualifying positions
*Paid Time Off Accrual Bank
*Opportunities for growth and advancement
*Excellent pay differentials on qualifying positions (extra pay for working evening, nights or weekends)
By the end of the Student Nurse Extern Program, the Extern will:
- Apply the nursing process when delivering nursing care with increased individual level of confidence and competency in a range of nursing skills.
- Actively seek feedback from Preceptor regarding nursing assessment, care planning, implementation/coordination and evaluation of patient care.
- Enhance communication skills to work effectively with patients/clients, families, and other members of the multi-disciplinary team.
- Assist the preceptor in performing selected procedures and treatments.
- Participate in educational pursuits and activities that enhance understanding of professional nursing practice.
- Identify and acknowledge the involvement of patients and their family and plan care appropriately, while maintaining the principles and practice of patient confidentiality.
Additional RequirementsPhysical Requirements: Very Heavy work - exerting over 25 pounds of force constantly (67-100% of the time), and/or more than 50 pounds frequently (34-66% of the time), and/or more than 100 pounds of force occassionally (up to 33% of the time), and/or more than 100 pounds of force seldomly to move objects. Possible exposure to radiation and frequent exposure to contaminated needles and infectious body substances. Requires the ability to work designated shift lengths (including 8 and 12 hours), which may include night shifts or occasional irregular hours.
Job FamilyAcute Nursing
Scheduled Weekly Hours0
Make a difference. Every day.
Monument Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.Apply