If you think you have COVID-19, call your provider – don’t come in.
To minimize exposure to the virus, Monument Health urges potential COVID-19 patients to stay home rather than risk infecting others in a clinic or other public setting. If you think you might have contracted COVID-19, you can:
- If you are experiencing mild symptoms and would like to schedule a test please click here.
- If you are having severe symptoms and feel you need to speak to a nurse, please call the Nurse Triage Line at 605-755-1350 or 1-800-279-1466. They are available from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. each day. Download a printable PDF.
You will answer a series of questions about your symptoms and other health matters. If you fit the criteria, you can arrange to have a nasal swab collected from far in the back of your nasal passage.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where are the testing locations?
– You can get tested in your car.
To reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19 in clinics, Monument Health offers drive-up testing, so you can stay in your car while you are tested. Drive-up testing is available at:
- Rapid City Urgent Care on Jackson Boulevard
- Spearfish at the North 10th Street Clinic
- Custer Hospital & Clinic
- Lead-Deadwood Hospital & Clinic
- Sturgis Hospital & Clinic – video directions
During your appointment, a caregiver in protective gear will collect a test sample by inserting a swab in your nasal passage. It takes just a couple of minutes.
How are samples processed?
– COVID-19 samples are processed in-house or sent to Mayo Clinic.
Monument Health has its own in-house testing with a turnaround time of 30 minutes to 72 hours. Depending on volume, we also send samples to Mayo Clinic – the turnaround time can be up to 7 days. We are constantly expanding our in-house test processing, so wait times are getting shorter.
How do I get my results?
– You’ll get the results as quickly as possible.
Test results are sent to the provider who ordered your test or to your Monument Health primary care provider. Patients will also be able to read the results of their COVID-19 test when it’s available by logging onto their MyChart profile.
- If the test is positive, Monument Health nursing staff will call you. Afterward, we’ll also post the results in your MyChart account.
- If the test is negative, your results will be posted in your MyChart account or sent by mail, depending on your preference. (MyChart is much faster.)
For more information on how to use MyChart click here.
COVID-19 Travel or Employment Testing
Due to limited resources, Monument Health is not testing patients who don’t have symptoms of COVID-19 or a specific medical need such as upcoming surgery.
Some states and some employers require residents and visitors to be tested for COVID 19. There are self-testing services that let you collect a sample and send it to their labs. Here’s a list of FDA-authorized labs: monument.health/at-home-tests.
Antibody testing can tell if you’ve ever had COVID-19.
For more than 80 percent of COVID-19 cases, symptoms are mild or nonexistent. There have been questions about whether the virus will even be detected in diagnostic tests of these asymptomatic people. Another test, which detects COVID-19 antibodies, will tell if you have had the disease in the past. If you have the antibody, you could resistant to reinfection.